Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The A-Rod saga





Well, this has dominated the news recently, and my thoughts on the situation are:


- I'm disappointed that the Yankees have to deal with this walking, talking, breathing reality TV show for the next 9 years. Maybe Hank Steinbrenner regrets not listening to Cashman now, when Cash wanted to cut ties with Rodriguez. On one side of the coin I realize that he is a top 3 player in the game, but on the other side of the coin I realize that he is drama, and nothing but drama. That can't be good for a clubhouse in the longterm.

-Alex Rodriguez is wrong, and there is no denying that but the other 103 names need to be released just in the light of fairness. Alex should not be the only one forced to take the walk of shame. It wouldn't be fair. I don't expect the 103 names to be released though, and that would just be convenient.

- Alex claims he didn't know what he was taking over the course of the three years. How dumb does he think the general public is? He is sitting there telling America that he, the ultimate perfectionist, doesn't know what he was taking? Ok, and I am really Barack Obama.


- I thought the interview, where he confessed, was alright. I think Gammons could have been a bit harder on him, and he didn't follow up and a lot of crucial spots in the interview. For example, Gammons asked Rodriguez what made him resort to steroids and Rodriguez said that the pressure of living up to the contract that he signed was a big part of it. I thought Gammons should have came back with a 'What about the pressure to get that contract to begin with?' question. I think he was a bit soft on him.

-If Rodriguez thought that people didn't like him before, he has seen nothing yet. It is going to be a circus in Yankee away games. Can you imagine when A-Rod steps into the batter's box in Fenway for the first time in the 2009 season? Boy it is going to be madness, plain and simple.

- I, for one, do not believe that he only took steroids from 2001-2003. I don't know, or have any thoughts on the possible duration of his steroid usage, but his explanation alone led me to that belief. 'I was under pressure to live up to the contract'. Oh really? What about the pressure to get that contract? What about the pressure of playing next to the most popular athlete in New York? Is it possible that he only took steroids for 3 seasons? Perhaps, but that explanation was like swiss cheese.


- The home run record will probably never be "clean" again. It hit me like a ton of bricks on Saturday when the report came about. Is it possible that a squeaky clean player will come along and break the record? Sure, but it isn't likely and it's very disappointing.

- Hopefully, now that he "came clean" (I use that term VERY loosely), the Yankees can move on and they can play baseball without the barrage of steroid questions before and after every game. I am not concerned with integrity and all of that stuff. My favorite baseball team is the New York Yankees and I want success for them. Hopefully this black cloud doesn't ruin this season. I do believe that Rodriguez will have a huge season for the Yankees.

1 comment:

Amani Roberts said...

Hmmm ... let's see how accurate Joe Torre's book is now.

A-rod needs to be traded from NYC.