Thursday, December 4, 2008

My thoughts on the Plaxico Burress saga

As most people know, Plaxico Burress was involved in an incident last Saturday in the deep night, where he allegedly shot himself accidentally. Since it happened, the coverage of the incident and all the parameters surrounding it has been nonstop.

My thoughts on the situation go like this:

- As a New Yorker and Giant supporter I am disappointed to see Plaxico, after what he did for the team last season from both a motivational and on field standpoint, go out like this. Most likely, his tenure as a Giant is over and that is sad. I realize he did it to himself, and he hasn't exactly been the quintessential teammate but he did go out there last season and bust his hump to help this team win.

- I let out a hearty laugh when I read that upon checking into the hospital, Plaxico told them his name was Harris Smith and he was shot at Applebee's. How does that work? 'Excuse me, may I have some BBQ ri......NO!!!!!!!!!'

-His blunder is going to end up costing him a lot of money. He was fined by the Giants, an undisclosed amount, he doesn't see the 400,000 in roster bonuses, and probably won't see the last 6 years of his deal, especially given the fact that the Giants actually SAVE 4.4 million if they cut him next season.

- I feel bad for Antonio Pierce. Now the guy is getting hounded with questions, when essentially he was in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person. It's not like Plaxico has a history of breaking the law, but on that night he did and now Pierce is in the middle of the mess.

- As far as Plaxico, he'll always have a place in my heart for his role in bringing NY a title last year. It was one of the more gutty performances I've seen over the course of a season, with the ankle problems he played through last year. Unfortunately for him, he made a mistake and it will probably prove to be a costly one.

No comments: